Social media enables instant sharing of things we care about with people we care about. More and more time is being spent online and, because of this, businesses have realized that they need to be where the people are.
With so many social networks out there, one of the most important questions you can ask yourself is “Which network(s) should I invest in?” It can be very tempting to want to use them all. After all, more networks means more people, right? Often, that’s not the case. Each network attracts a different crowd and selecting the right one(s) will help you reach the right people. Once you’ve reached the right people, word will spread.
- Facebook is the most popular social media site of the five, but its growth has slowed.
- Engagement on Facebook continues to grow, however. So, even though there are less accounts being made, more and more time is being spent by the people already there.
- Facebook acts as “home base” to most with multiple social media accounts. This makes sense since most people are on Facebook and its influence is vast (for example, Facebook can be used to sign into many sites).
- Twitter has over 320 million monthly active users, the vast majority of which are on mobile.
- Twitter is a simple way for businesses to quickly engage with their customers. Many use it to aid with customer service.
- By using hashtags (#), Twitter makes it very easy for you to see what people are saying about a particular subject.
- Google+ is, in eyes of many, a failed attempt by Google to usurp Facebook.
- However, it’s worth noting that pretty much anyone with a GMail or YouTube account also has a Google+ account.
- Google+ has recently shifted its focus, with an emphasis on building community, an advantage it has over Facebook.
- LinkedIn dominates the professional social network segment. It is one of the oldest, launched in 2002.
- LinkedIn has 400 million registered members.
- There are over 39 million students and recent college graduates on LinkedIn.
- Instagram’s primary purpose is making the sharing of photos easy and fun.
- Instagram is one of the fastest—if not the fastest—growing social networks; it currently stands at 400 million monthly active users.
- ~90% of Instagram users are younger than 35.
Selecting the right social network is only half the battle; once you’re certain which one(s) you’d like to move forward with, you have to consistently manage them to keep your brand current and relevant.
There are tools out there that make managing social media relatively pain-free. To name a few:
In the event that setting up and managing your various social media accounts feels or becomes unmanageable, WebVolt will help you supercharge your audience’s experience. Setup, content creation, customer engagement, and more—we’re always here to help.
Which social media networks are you considering? Why?